The Garnet Valley High School Jazz Program includes 2 jazz bands, small jazz combos, and student-run Brass Band.
COMPETITION JAZZ BAND
Instruments are limited to alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, trombone, trumpet, piano, bass, guitar, drum set, and vibes. (Click here to learn more about instrument options in jazz band)
Demands a high level of commitment and individual practice
Full Ensemble rehearsals Thursdays 4-7pm (starts 11/10)
Sectional rehearsals Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday after school, based on your section’s preference
Attends several festivals/competitions each Spring
Performs at several community/school events
Audition required (details below)
JAZZ LAB BAND
Open to all students interested in jazz
Rehearsals Mondays after school until 4pm (Starts 11/15)
Performs at some community/school events
Flexible instrumentation (more players able to participate)
Audition not required
Students who audition and are accepted into the jazz bands are expected to attend ALL rehearsals and performances. Any schedule conflicts (other activities, special events, work schedules, family obligations) MUST be discussed with Dr. Selfridge at least one week in advance.
HOW TO JOIN:
1) If you want to audition for Competition Jazz Band, read the audition requirements below and record your audition BEFORE submitting the Jazz Band Registration Form (deadline Nov 7)
2) If you want to sign up for Jazz Lab Band (no audition required), simply complete the Jazz Band Registration Form.
AUDITION VIDEOS AND REGISTRATION FORM DEADLINE IS MONDAY NOV 7 at 11:59pm
Students will record a video and upload to Google Drive. Follow the steps below:
- Download your audition music below. Practice to the best of your ability, note the marked tempo.
- Record your video with a clear view of your face, instrument, and hands
- You can use a metronome when you record your video if you want to.
- Upload your video to Google Drive and set the sharing settings to "Anyone with the link can view"
- Copy & paste the link in your Jazz Band Registration Online Form
*Students auditioning on saxophone are encouraged to submit an additional optional video demonstrating your abilty to double on either flute, clarinet, or soprano sax. Learn more about doubling and jazz band here.
All instruments except drums are auditioning on the etude "IND Line" from the book "Jazz Conception" by Jim Snidero. Several reference recordings are linked below. Although the examples below are only on some instruments, all instruments may use these as a model for rhythms and notes. Here are some excellent examples:
Parents & Students - sign up for Remind text updates by texting @gvhsjazz to 81010
Never miss a beat. Subscribe to our newsletter and get all the latest news sent directly to your inbox.